Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nonfiction Does Matter

"Life is nonfiction." Bevery Kobrin as quoted in the book I'm reading.

I am reading Nonfiction Matters by Stephanie Harvey. Sometimes during reading time I think to myself how odd it is that I rarely see my students writing notes or copying passages from the books they are reading. Even books they really like rarely get the treatment of noting the information, ideas, or plays on words during our time to read. Blogging does happen, but I wonder if the blogs would carry more of how the reading is going if they are written from notes taken while reading.

I note this because I am reading a book about ideas to help me teach more effectively, so I am taking notes. I also tend to stop and copy quotations from books when I really like what they say. My sketchbooks are littered with wise words I wish I had thought of but some author said just right. Some of the quotations are there because I just want to think about them a bit longer... they challenge me. So, think on these things... take notes while you read and you will hold those words with you longer. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. hey naomi..
    its kind of true..life is nonfiction. NOT fiction!..haha:P when will the other orders of "Fruits Basket" come? i wanna read the other ones. these books are fun..its almost kind of like inuyasha. fun better:P haha kk bye

    ReplyDelete