Thursday, February 23, 2012

Narcissus

It was either "Narcissus" or "Reflections on Reflection" and since the myth of Narcissus is about a guy lost in his own reflection it seemed a fitting title.  I got this book quite a while ago, and I read it then and liked it (but now I can't remember so I'm re-reading it).  The book is called Reflection in the Writing Classroom by Kathleen Blake Yancey.

I think it is important to return to books that have important ideas that may connect in stronger ways during different times in your life.  I chose to return to this book since I do remember one quote I had in a journal from it, "The ability to reflect on what is being written seems to be the essence of the difference between able and not so able writers from their initial experience onward."4 So the ability to pause, think about and make changes according to those thoughts is the key to writers who are able, and aren't all writers able to some degree?

No comments:

Post a Comment